I got my first copy of OF&F in yesterday and playtested it with my wife. I'm actually a bit surprised how well it did by the time I was done tweaking stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot left to do, but the game was fairly playable.
So here are the things I changed or clarified from my first playtesting (all of this is subject to further change):
- The peg pawns that I thought would stack... don't. So I'll just have to use cubes. It will cost $1.00 more, but I'm not as concerned about that as I am the more clumsy feel of the game. Actually it wasn't too bad with cubes, but I was really hoping for parts that stacked more naturally.
- In a one player game, you use 3 pawns. In a two player game, each player uses 2 pawns.
- I need
- The game starts with 5 workers in the castle and 5 rations.
- You now seed the game with 5 disasters by rolling dice at the start of the game.
- It costs 5 rations to create another worker.
- A feast costs you 1 ration an 1 worker must go to the castle.
- Plague cause workers to go to the calendar 1 season ahead. The basis for choosing how many people get sick is half of the Well workers (rounding down).
- If you have a feast when the rations are at 0, a worker dies... and another 1 must go to the castle.
- the "castle" disaster is now called "feast".
- You no longer repair all buildings from the workshop... the workshop is just for the long term projects. To repair a building you must go to that building and repair it explicitly. I'm still a little up in the air as to whether 1 action repairs all damage to a building or just one cube.... I'm leaning towards one cube.
- I'm on the fence about whether or not to limit the number of times an action can be performed. I think I need to do that, but I didn't play that way yesterday and it was ok.
- The enemies were way too easy... I spent my time dealing with the other problems and then realized, "I could just attack my enemies and win" I'll have to make them a much bigger concern. Perhaps be moving their numbers closer to 7. Perhaps by seeding their hostilities (this might be a difficulty adjustment as well).
- I need to change the role cards to indicate the color of the pawn that is used.
- The board looks great!
That's all for now!